Tag: questions

You have no idea what I'm talking about, right? That's because not many people use the term bikeshedding. It's not a usual term that people just throw around all the time. Bikeshedding is when you argue about some meaningless thing and tend to avoid the more important issue at hand. For example Urban Dictionary tells us this: Technical disputes over minor, marginal issues conducted while more serious ones are being overlooked. The implied image is of people arguing over what color to paint the bicycle shed while the house is not finished. Let's take the above image as an example....

Continue reading »

Meeting the locals!?

A more appropriate title would be: should I meet the locals or do I have any locals that I should meet and when I say locals I'm referring to local developers / web designers around my area or even around the country. I have a big issue with this topic. How so, you may ask? Well for starters, around my city there is a lack of social gatherings and a shortage of developer communities. Either there are some that are so underground that not even the NSA knows about or they simply don't exist. I prefer the latter. Not having these...

Continue reading »

So I ran a poll. And people answered and the results surprised me, to say the least. The question was simple. Developer Tools docked or undocked? 74% of all people that answered my question said that they prefer to use the developer tools docked. I was a bit surprised because this means that either they have small screens or they don't know they can undock. The other 26% said they prefer to have it undocked because they know they can have docked but choose not to. So what do these numbers actually mean? Well from what I understand and from...

Continue reading »

It's more of a question actually. What's it like to read other's people code and why you should be prepared? Well, the evil doers over at the powerful and evil Abstruse Goose Corporation made this into a bloody good comic. Go read it and then come back, so we can understand what's really going on here. waiting for the reader to come back Well if you made it to this sentence it means we can continue with our philosophical pondering of random stuff about computer programming. In order to answer our questions we first have to look at the standards...

Continue reading »

A few weeks ago, I had the unfortunate chance or let's say "opportunity", of working on something without going through my usual workflow. And what did I learn from that experience? Well, that you are as good as the tools you use and the most important thing, that stuck with me, is that the whole process sucked. And when I mean it sucked, I mean it was so horrible that I felt I was in the middle ages, where they had to copy books by hand. I mean not only was I out of my comfort zone, but...

Continue reading »